[BlueOnyx:18215] Re: blocked IP address from store and forum

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 20 22:48:53 -05 2015

Eiji,

> It is a Server unlimited products.
>
> In other words, it was to test the software that has already been
> purchased at the local vmware machine. What makes the problem?  what is
> a pirated?

This is outlined in the terms of service:

http://www.solarspeed.net/sla/
http://shop.blueonyx.it/sla/

2.2 Limited Rights. Pursuant to this Agreement, you may: a) use the
Software on one server for each purchased licensed copy of the software.
Except as expressly set forth in this Agreement, you have no right to
use, make, sublicense, modify, transfer or copy either the original or
any copies of the Software or to permit anyone else to do so. You may
not allow any third party to have access to the source code of the
Software. It is illegal to copy the Software and install it for
simultaneous use on multiple machines – unless you have purchased
multiple copies of the same software.

These terms of service are (and have been) the same for roughly the last
ten years. And there clearly is no such thing as "Server unlimited
products".

>From your install history I can see that you installed PHP (and other
PKGs) 107 times since 11th March 2009.

Example repeat offenders are:

solarspeed-mod_php-5.3.9-SOL1AV 5108R (10x in the last 15 months)
solarspeed-mod_php-5.3.6-SOL1AV 5106R (27 installs in 4 years)

This doesn't match your purchase history *and* it's not always the same
two servers that it is installed on. Different MAC addresses, different
CPU types, different number of CPU cores. Some run on Aventurin{e}, some
under VMware, some on real servers.

Even if I figure in some inaccuracy and give room for error: I still see
a very clear violation of our terms of service and the obligations that
you (as a client) accepted during purchase.

So you're not only using horribly outdated PHP software (which contains
some very obvious security issues), but as far as the license agreement
is concerned these are pirated copies. And of course you blame your lack
of mastery of the English language to understand the most basic concept
of our software license.

It even tells you that on the screen *each* time when you install these
PKGs:

------------------
This software is for non-transferable use on a single Server Appliance
or Virtual Server. Copying or redistribution is not allowed.

What is so difficult to understand in those two sentences?

Do me (and yourself) a favor and consider one thing:

You use a lot of BlueOnyx servers. So what we offer for free (i.e.:
BlueOnyx itself) clearly has some value to you. We can only provide
BlueOnyx for free because the paid extra software we sell gives us the
ability to invest our time into the development of BlueOnyx itself.

Support us through purchases and throw these old PKGs away. Otherwise
you force me to make sure that no further license violation will be
possible. And that might impact your ability to use BlueOnyx, too.