[BlueOnyx:18267] Re: NewLinQ and Shop outage

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Aug 28 10:46:28 -05 2015

Hi Tom,

On 8/28/2015 10:15 AM, webmaster wrote:

> I would like it so we could just by a package, download it, and install
> it manually like the old days

Oh yeah, I think we would ALL love that.

Unfortunately, we're not in the old days anymore.   While that system
works if the package buyers are honest, that's not the world we live in
these days.   You and I and the vast majority of folks on this list
recognize that if we cheat the developers out of payment for the
products that they are offering for sale, we are in turn cheating
ourselves out of continued sustainability for the BlueOnyx project.

So not only is stealing the software (using one copy on multiple
servers, sharing it for download to others, etc.) WRONG, but it's also
STUPID.

The sad thing is that we have users out there who operate in a WRONG
and/or STUPID mindset.  They think that it's perfectly OK to share the
software among different servers.   Just copy it from here to there.  Or
make it available for others to use because by now it's an older
version.  Or whatever.  We've seen a lot of examples, and in a
disturbing number of situations, the software thief will defend their
actions as being perfectly legitimate.

I'm in complete agreement that the NewLinQ system, as it currently
exists, has some room for improvement.   The good news is that, as
previously announced, Greg and Michael are working towards that goal.
As we move forward, the purchase & install process will become better
streamlined.   We have also had some discussion in regard to beefing up
the resiliency of the NewLinQ / BlueOnyx Shop infrastructure.   We've
done a good job of that with the BlueOnyx core network.  Adding some
geographic diversity to the paid upgrade component makes sense to me,
and I've offered to make VIRTBIZ resources (servers, talent,
connectivity) available for that.

Ultimately, I'm well pleased with BlueOnyx as a platform and the various
plug-ins that are available via the Shop make it even that much better.
  The great thing about BlueOnyx is the Open Source nature and how open
to collaboration / suggestion things continue to be.  I've dealt with
other projects where it's Open Source in name only.  Disturb the king,
and things go very badly.

We can do our part by continuing to offer input when appropriate, and
making legitimate purchases from the guys doing the heavy-lifting in the
background.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services