[BlueOnyx:18298] Re: NewLinQ and Shop outage

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Aug 30 20:38:31 -05 2015

Well, I may be a bit late to the party, but I thought I'd just clear up
a couple things.

On 8/28/2015 11:59 PM, Eiji Hamano wrote:
> It is the result of trying to take a lot from the user who is now
> without the effort to spread the pie.

I am not entirely sure what you are saying. I must say that your English
skills are far better than my Japanese, so I appreciate that the
language may sometimes be lost in translation.

> They do not know what the budget of the each client are limited.

Ah, I think you may be saying something to the effect that your budget
does not always allow you to make legitimate purchases of software.  In
that case, you consider it to be acceptable to copy it over and over.

Unfortunately, that justification does not work.  It would be the same
as if I said that I would truly like to have a new Ferrari (which I
would) but I cannot afford one (which is also true).  Therefore, since I
cannot afford to have one, and the seller is very greedy to be asking so
much money, it's OK for me to simply take one.   I feel that argument
would not get very far with the police.

If you use something that is sold for value without paying for it, that
is stealing.  It does not matter how you dress it up.

I would like to have a Ferrari, still.  Very much.

> Hi  Chris

Hi Eiji!

> You seem to do not even sleep also,  and you seem to be the real onyx
> shop seller.
> It is by chance. you have a machine in Dallas also.

Well, you are correct.  My sleep schedule could use improvement.
Sometimes that comes with the territory of being quite devoted to one's
business, family and other endeavors.  My wife believes I should get
more sleep than I should, so you and she are in agreement with that issue.

You are also quite right that it I have a machine in Dallas.  Actually,
I am responsible for many.   The number is in the hundreds, and perhaps
thousands.  I'm really not sure - I have stopped counting.

The BlueOnyx website and main mirror site are hosted at our Dallas
facility.  They are one of dozens (hundreds, perhaps?) of BlueOnyx
servers hosted within our network.

However, if you believe that I am responsible for the BlueOnyx shop I'm
afraid you are mistaken.   That responsibility lies with Greg and
Michael, and the shop itself is hosted much closer to you than me.

I have no influence on how the BlueOnyx shop is managed.  I am a
customer like everybody else in that regard.  This means that when I
would like to use software that is sold in the BlueOnyx shop, I purchase
it just like you.  Or I would expect you to. <akward> Well, you know
what I mean.

I hope that this clears up any misunderstandings, my friend.  In summary:

#1: Yes, I should get more sleep.
#2: No, it's not OK to use software sold in the BlueOnyx shop without
paying.
#3: I encourage you to do the right thing with regard to #2.
#4: You are unlikely to convince many people here that #2 is wrong.
#5: This is not a conspiracy. I'm only one person.

ありがとう / Arigato.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services