[BlueOnyx:17090] Re: 5208R Upgrades and question

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Feb 22 15:08:49 -05 2015

Hi Michael,

> This is why I go to the work of writing the sed statements. I have a script
> that I set to run after yum updates so my little 'tweaks' like this get put
> back. I also replace the BlueOnyx images in the GUI with my logo :-)

Very well. That's the way to do it! :-)

>>  If you change the two instances of "daemon /usr/sausalito/sbin/cced" to
> this ...
>
> I changed the php.ini and added this as you suggested but unfortunately when
> I did that the GUI stopped working. All logins would fail with an invalid
> username error.

I can confirm that. I tested it this morning as well and somehow CCEd
appears to "forget" where it's working directory is. Hence it cannot
find the CODB database and then all things go awry.

> Since you went to the trouble of finding it perhaps you could change the
> timing in sessionmgr.h at some point.

Yeah, it's worth pondering. But like said in my earlier post: The
timeout currently in effect is 24 minutes. As defined in
/etc/admserv/php.ini through the "session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440" setting.

If you change that to 3600 instead, you almost triple the timeout from
what it currently is. 60 minutes is better than 24 minutes.

But while we're talking about it: How long would we want to set the
timeout at the most? I think 60 minutes is reasonable. 90 or 120
minutes? No problem. But much longer than that? The longer we set it,
the more "convenient" it might be for power users. But it also make it
more dangerous to not log out. Someone could hijack your idle session.
Either physically (at your computer while you're grabbing coffee) or
remotely in case someone has "the ears to the track" in the form of a
man-in-the-middle attack.

So I wouldn't want to set it too long. But I'm certainly open for
suggestions.

I'll probably publish an updated base-admserv which changes the current
24 minute idle time to 45 or 60 minutes. In the longer haul we can then
set the hardcoded maximum value in CCE to something bigger that we work
out together here.