[BlueOnyx:16854] Re: How to add Blacklists?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Jan 13 09:42:25 -05 2015

I thought I would chime in with some tips, just in case it's helpful:

On 1/13/2015 3:47 AM, NETgemacht wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to use spamhouse.org <http://spamhouse.org> as Blacklist in
>> Server Management -> Network Services -> Email -> Blacklists.
>> Have somebody added spamhouse yet and can help me how to add?
>> Are there other blacklists which should be added?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dirk
>
> du brauchst unter Blacklist einfach zen.spamhouse.org
> <http://zen.spamhouse.org> hinzufügen. Außerdem nutze ich noch
> b.barracudacentral.org <http://b.barracudacentral.org>, bl.spamcop.net
> <http://bl.spamcop.net>, cbl.abuseat.org <http://cbl.abuseat.org>, und
> dnsbl-2useprotect.net <http://dnsbl-2useprotect.net

The Spamhaus ZEN list actually includes the CBL, so I would remove CBL
from your lookups as it will not give any benefit, but just cause
another DNS lookup.

Note that you need to register in order to gain permission to use the
Barraduca list.

Also, I think that instead of "dnsbl-2useprotect.net", you mean to say
"dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net".   And while we're talking about
UCEprotect.net, I think that it's worth mentioning that this is a
somewhat more aggressive list than, say, Spamcop.net or the Spamhaus ZEN
list.  I say this without any axe to grind.  Indeed, you'll find that
VIRTBIZ is a supporter of the UCEprotect project and provides a US
mirror-site.  Used in scoring, UCEprotect can be a great tool. Used in
the BX RBL screen might cause more trouble than it solves. I only
mention this because you may find some unwanted rejections if you're
simply using this list for accept/reject decision-making.  I wouldn't
personally use it on a server that hosted customer mail.

The same could be said for the RBL functionality that exists in
BlueOnyx, of course.  My advice would be to research the different lists
carefully.  Take a look at their policies, how listings work, what are
the criteria, etc.   Also, it's worth mentioning that the various lists
have different policies for who may actually use them.  As ever, you're
encouraged to stay within the TOS of the individual lists.

I hope that's in some way helpful.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services