[BlueOnyx:16855] Re: How to add Blacklists?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jan 13 12:46:15 -05 2015

Hi Chris,

> Also, I think that instead of "dnsbl-2useprotect.net", you mean to say
> "dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net".   And while we're talking about
> UCEprotect.net, I think that it's worth mentioning that this is a
> somewhat more aggressive list than, say, Spamcop.net or the Spamhaus ZEN
> list.  I say this without any axe to grind.

I'd also like to add another perspective and suggestion here: Using RBLs
directly in Sendmail is naturally an option. Using some of the more
aggressive/progressive RBLs such as UCE (I love it, too!) can then be a
bit problematic, as it might block emails for certain usage cases.

A slightly better approach there is this: Instead of using these more
aggressive/progressive RBLs in Sendmail offload them to SpamAssassin and
give them a score slightly below the threshold at which email is marked
as SPAM.

In that case the mails will get marked as SPAM if there are other
indicators that suggest it is indeed SPAM. But mails without such
indicators still get through. Especially if you routinely receive emails
from there.

As an example use the config file /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamrats.cf
that's included in the AV-SPAM package. To add a new RBL just create a
new file ending with *.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ and stay true to
the suggested format from spamrats.cf:

Example for UCEprotect:

header UCE_PROT eval:check_rbl('UCE_PROT', 'dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net.')
score UCE_PROT 2.5

That adds a rule named UCE_PROT that uses dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net and
gives it a score of 2.5 points.