[BlueOnyx:17225] Re: Installing a Printer

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Mar 6 07:25:40 -05 2015

On 3/6/2015 3:40 AM, DD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an eCommerce site that requires a fair bit of printing. Currently
> I am going through an admin panel I wrote and printing the various
> documents manually, but it occurs to me I could automate this and save
> myself some time by having the website spit out prints as soon as each
> order is placed. I have a HP P3015 on the LAN in the office. This has
> IPTables built-in and is already configured to allow another remote user
> to print to it, so allowing my server’s IP to print shouldn’t be a problem.
>
>  From what I’ve read, I’ll need to first install HPLIP:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> Can anyone advise on installing this on (I think) 5108R?

I might come at it from a slightly different angle.

Your ecom site most likely sends emails for ordering, right?   Why not
have your email client print for you?

https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/blog/Using-Thunderbird-as-a-print-proxy

Seems faster and perhaps gives you a bit more control without having to
cobble a print driver into the webserver.   Just a thought.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services