[BlueOnyx:17622] Re: cmu.xml

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun May 17 17:01:15 -05 2015

On 5/17/2015 7:34 AM, Tom wrote:
> Michael Stauber <mstauber at ...> writes:
>

>> Hi Tom,
>>
>>> But then wouldn't all the XML files not get compressed
>>> and be a lot larger, and take longer to ftp to a backup drive?
>>
>> Depends. XML files can be compressed pretty well. But all XML files
>> together aren't that big anyway. The only "real" time saver is that
>> during the FTP transfer it is a lot faster to move just one file (the
>> tarball with the XML files) than to FTP a lot of small individual XML
> files.
>>
>> All in all it doesn't really matter that much if the XML files are
>> compressed or not.
>>

> Good to know. I don't care if it takes a little longer to transfer the
> backup files back and forth. I just want to make a migration or restore
> easier.

I think that's the precise reason that the installer for raqbackup.sh
provides users with the flexibility to decide if the XML should be tar'd
and compressed or not.

For us, we always use the default, which is to allow that tar & gzip
functionality.  The single added step of untaring the files is really of
no consequence in the scheme of restoring an entire server via CMU.
Let's face it... if it comes to that, a quick untar is the LEAST of our
worries, right?!

At any rate, I'm certainly glad to hear you were able to put the pieces
together again!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services