[BlueOnyx:17614] Server unable to start named and shell gone iffy

Richard Morgan :: Morgan Web richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Sun May 17 05:00:14 -05 2015

We have a virtual server which was recently restarted by our provider while
they upgraded their nodes.  It's a 5208R (upgraded from 5108R, but probably
not related) and provides secondary DNS, secondary mail services and some
basic sites.

The first symptom was the BX GUI was not working. I've seen this problem
before with a VM and Michael pointed me to fixing php.ini for admserv.  See
[16996].

However, on this occasion I can't get named to restart. It seems to be
looking for the files in /etc/named and not /var/named/chroot/var/named -
there also seem to be permission problems with files in /etc/rndc .key which
I think is also meant to be in the chroot location too.

Here's what I'm getting:

-bash-4.1# service named start

Starting named:

Error in named configuration:

zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading from master file
pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa failed: file not found

zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: not loaded due to errors.

_default/0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: file not found

[FAILED]

Another oddity is that the usual shell prompt of "[root at vps1 dir]" seems to
be "-bash-4.1#" which may indicate something, but I'm not sure what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure what to do.  We've got
backups, but only the data not a whole VM image.

Regards, Richard