[BlueOnyx:17615] Re: Server unable to start named and shell gone iffy

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun May 17 07:34:28 -05 2015

Hi Richard,

On 5/17/2015 5:00 AM, Richard Morgan :: Morgan Web wrote:
> -bash-4.1# service named start
>
> Starting named:
>
> Error in named configuration:
>
> zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading from master file
> pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa failed: file not found
>
> zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: not loaded due to errors.
>
> _default/0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: file not found
>
> [FAILED]

This is pretty straightforward.  From BlueOnyx, go to Server Management
 > Network Services > DNS.  Edit Primary zones.  You'll have a drop down
of "NETWORKS" (instead of domains).  Remove all records for all of them.
  After you remove the last reverse zone out of the GUI, named should
start automatically for you.

> Another oddity is that the usual shell prompt of “[root at vps1 dir]” seems
> to be “-bash-4.1#” which may indicate something, but I’m not sure what.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m not sure what to do.  We’ve
> got backups, but only the data not a whole VM image.

Could be something... could be nothing.  Check to see what's in your
/root/.bashrc file.  Default is something like this:
# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
         . /etc/bashrc
fi

That's what tells the shell to use a file for setting various
parameters.   It should be saying look to /etc/bashrc (the above sample
does).   In which case, you should see variables set for $PS1, $PS2, etc
in that file.

Most likely your provider can help you out with this, since they seem to
have been somewhat responsible for the change.  I'd hit them up as your
first line of support, and if you come up dry there, check back with us.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services