[BlueOnyx:17618] Re: Server unable to start named and shell gone iffy

Richard Morgan :: Morgan Web richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Sun May 17 12:42:44 -05 2015

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the quick response.

>On 5/17/2015 5:00 AM, Richard Morgan :: Morgan Web wrote:
>> -bash-4.1# service named start
>>
>> Starting named:
>>
>> Error in named configuration:
>>
>> zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading from master file
>> pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa failed: file not found
>>
>> zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: not loaded due to errors.
>>
>> _default/0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: file not found
>>
>> [FAILED]

>This is pretty straightforward.  From BlueOnyx, go to Server Management  >
Network
>Services > DNS.  Edit Primary zones.  You'll have a drop down of "NETWORKS"
(instead
>of domains).  Remove all >records for all of them.
>  After you remove the last reverse zone out of the GUI, named should start
automatically for you.

I've tried a few things with regards removing networks, even commenting out
the lines in /etc/named.conf, but I think it should be loading from
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf but it's not.  Trying to restart named now
gives errors regarding rndc.  Not sure where to go with this.

>> Another oddity is that the usual shell prompt of "[root at vps1 dir]"
>> seems to be "-bash-4.1#" which may indicate something, but I'm not sure
what.

>Could be something... could be nothing.  Check to see what's in your
/root/.bashrc
>file.  Default is something like this:
># Source global definitions
>if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
>         . /etc/bashrc
>fi

You were spot on with this... I added the few lines and it worked after a
reboot. The mystery is why it was a zero file size in the first place.

Seems there are other services failing. SMTP it not working as expected so I
think it might be time to wipe the server, unless anyone can guide me
towards a cause and solution.

All nudges and hints are greatfully received.

Regards, Richard