[BlueOnyx:17630] Re: Q: 5208R with Japanese Character

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 20 04:09:04 -05 2015

Hi Eiji,

> 1.  Michael was changed Japanese code of 5106-8R from the EUC to UTF8
>     with very struggling.
>     However, at 5208R, the Japanese command mode was back to EUC again.
>
>     Why?  Is it because the system was made with other than you ?

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean with "command mode". That
probably did not translate correctly into English.

As for EUC and UTF-8? It is like this:

UTF-8 was in its infancy when the initial GUI was created. Back then the
guys at Cobalt had to use ISO-8859-1 for English and EUC for Japanese.

Since then a lot has changed and UTF-8 can now be used for pretty much
all languages which are relevant to us. Including Japanese. This
required a lot of changes in the GUI code. Additionally all language
files had to be converted from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 and the Japanese
language files had to be converted from EUC-JP to UTF-8.

With that done we can consistently use UTF-8 everywhere, which makes
code maintenance a lot simpler.

> 2.  The 5208R's login page was broken with Japanese lang mode.
>
>   Please see: http://www.hypersys.ne.jp/support/5208R/5208R_login.jpg

OK, I see the problem. Apparently the word for "Login" in Japanese is
incorrectly displayed. I will take a look at this and will publish a fix
within the next day or two.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

> But only with chrome 42.0 it has no problem!  Hmm..?

It may be that Chrome has some mechanism that is more tolerant with
incorrect encodings in pages.

Anyway: Many thanks again and I'll publish a fix for this.