[BlueOnyx:18592] Re: SSL 5208R

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Oct 27 15:56:22 -05 2015

Hi Don,

On 10/27/2015 3:30 PM, Don Teague wrote:
> Ordered the certificate from <a cheezy cert provider>
>
> Go into the Site section of the admin GUI, and navigate to SSL for that
> site. I've now been able to upload the CA's by renaming to .txt, but I
> can't get the cert/key to upload.

OK, I'm a bit unclear why you'd be uploading a key file.   That should
have been generated when you did the CSR that you sent to the CA in
order to get the certificate from them.   You should not have to upload
a new key.   In fact, if you're being asked to upload a new key, that
could indicate someone is trying to pull a fast one on you.

The process should go something like this:

1. In BlueOnyx GUI, generate a CSR for the site.

2. Upload CSR to CA. They'll use that to generate the certificate.

3. You should receive a certificate generated from the CSR that will
match the key on the server.

4. From the BlueOnyx GUI, upload the certificate and then (one at a
time) the intermediate cert.   Note that the cheeziest of providers will
use a bundled intermediate cert.  If this is the case, you'll need to
split the intermediate cert into 2 separate files and upload each one
independently.

Following that template, you should be able to get the cert activated on
the server.

I don't have any experience with the particular provider you mentioned.

We supply certificates to our customers, and though not at
bargain-basement prices, we do provide the installation service without
an additional fee.  That's not an advertisement, but rather just to
mention that we do have a lot of experience with the process, and the
only real failures I can speak to are when we had some 5106R systems
with old 1024-bit certificates and we had to run new CSRs via CLI.   We
also of course have seen plenty of failures on the intermediate cert
because it's bundled.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services