[BlueOnyx:18339] Re: Issue with VPS localhost.localdomain

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Sun Sep 6 17:21:43 -05 2015

Hi RC

> On 7 Sep 2015, at 2:33 am, Richard Barker <admin at probass.com> wrote:
>
> Seems since one of the updates going back to Aug 4th 2015 my VPS's now two
> are sending email out for all domain on that VPS as  localhost.localdomain
> not the sever name or the domain.

We looked at this before and did a workaround in the sendmail configuration. I did some more digging today and found the permanent fix.

hostname -A will return a list of DNS reverse resolved (or /etc/hosts lookups) for all of the IP addresses listed in your network config. It appears sendmail uses that to get its FQDN default. Your /etc/hosts files had localhost.localdomain included in some of the boxes for the loopback entry. Sendmail ignores localhost - but if it finds localhost.localdomain - it often uses it.

I have edited those entries appropriately in your /etc/hosts files - and its all fixed.

GK