[BlueOnyx:18401] Re: 5207R & 5208R: PAM_ABL fixed and reactivated

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Fri Sep 25 10:36:49 -05 2015

On Sep 25, 2015, at 9:57 AM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:

> Yepp, that's for the old one. Looks like your CCEd didn't get restarted
> after the YUM update. So the fix should be easy:
>
> /sbin/service cced.init restart
>
> That should then take care of it and it'll also generate the correct
> /etc/security/pam_abl.conf for you.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

More strangeness…

I see a new pam_abl.conf saved as .rpmnew, but when I try to backup the existing file:

[root at box1 security]# cp pam_able.conf pam_able.conf.old
cp: cannot stat `pam_able.conf': No such file or directory

It doesn’t have the immutable bit set:

[root at box1 security]# lsattr
-------------e- ./pam_abl.conf
-------------e- ./pam_abl.conf.rpmnew

I was able to backup the file using a text editor, then copied the contents of the rpmnew file into the original conf file after deleting the old text. Restarted pam_abl and cced.

Now I can get to the Failed Logins and Login Manager pages. The ddix emails also seem to have stopped. Looks all good again.

I’ll certainly look into dFix2. Sometimes free isn’t the best… But it had been doing what I wanted in cooperation with Fail2Ban.

Thanks for the help Michael,
Jeff