[BlueOnyx:19987] Re: Dovecot Error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Aug 17 01:43:35 -05 2016

Hi,

> Thanks Michael. But what happens with all mails when I delete the mbox file? Will they be deleted too?

Yes, that will delete all mails and the mbox file will get recreated
when the first new email comes in.

Like said: As is the mbox file appears to be corrupted, so it is of
dubious use. You could also just rename it and let the user download it
by FTP or similar. That way he could try his luck with it. It's just one
large textfile with one email after the other. It might perhaps be
possible to find the corruption and to fix it in a text editor. But this
is often not practical due to the very large size. If that mbox file is
larger than 2 GB simple text editors such as pico, nano or the one
included in Midnight Commander won't be able to handle it.