[BlueOnyx:19988] Re: Dovecot Error

Dirk Estenfeld dirk.estenfeld at blackpoint.de
Wed Aug 17 02:32:32 -05 2016

Hello,

I also saw this dovecot error in the maillog today but in my case user quota was exceeded.
So I would recommend to check user quota and(!) group quota again. Maybe it is not a user quota problem but a group quota (quota -g site<nr>)

Yes if you delete mbox every mail which was in in the INBOX for the user is history.
So do the following before you delete the mbox file.
Install mutt (yum install mutt) and open the mbox in the shell with mutt -f <filename>
If mutt is showing the mails then the mbox file is not corrupted. If mutt shows something like "mbox is corrupt" the you can be sure it is.
If it is corrupt you can open with a textedit (for example vi) and you can check if the first line is not starting with "From ...."
Example
>From root at localhost.localdomain  Tue Aug 16 06:00:04 2016

If this is not the case then you can delete the lines until the next "From ..." (for safety do  a copy of the mbox file first).

So my recommendation is:
- check user and group quota
- check the mbox file with mutt
- check the file with vi (or any other texteditor)

Best regards,
Dirk

blackpoint GmbH - Friedberger Straße 106 - 61118 Bad Vilbel