[BlueOnyx:19999] Re: vacation message sender information (BO 5209R and maybe all other)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Aug 19 10:21:42 -05 2016

Hi Dirk,

> If I create a vacation message for a user and only enter
> the text in the textfield the mail From: is automatically set to
> <username>@<FQDN>
> Example:
> mymailusername at www.mydomain.de
>
> But the official E-Mail address of the user is different.

Generally this shouldn't be a problem as long as your DNS and Email
Aliases are configured along these lines:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=dns-for-email

Because then email gets accepted if it's sent to both
mymailusername at www.mydomain.de and mymailusername at mydomain.de

But there is also the question of sanity: The auto-responder told that
sender that your user isn't there. Why would he then send another email

> So I can add in the first line of the message the following line:
>
> From:myalias at mydomain.de

That will be treated as part of the message body. We cannot and will not
allow a GUI user to set fake headers in autoresponder messages. Because
if we allow him to set a fake "From:", he could as well put in an email
address that's entirely not associated with his domain or your server.

The way email works it's just a regular text. At a minimum there must be
a "From:" and a "To:" line. "Subject:" and anything else is optional.
Then come two hard returns and anything after that is treated as message
body.

The code for emailing the vacation messages uses a Perl module
MIME::Lite. The "From:" is indeed set from the username and the FQDN of
the Vsite. The "To:" is set from the address of the last email this user
received. The body is set from the .vacation_msg textfile.