[BlueOnyx:19157] 5107/5108 Hyper-V image fresh install results in 40GB ?

Jim Scott jscott at infoconex.com
Mon Feb 22 01:43:52 -05 2016

I have been working with windows 2012 hyper-v the last few days and just noticed that the 5107/5108 installs generate just short of 40GB VHDX files. I can see the space is allocated when the setup creates the partitions and before it even starts installing anything.

I tried both versions listed above to see if any difference and both result in the same size. I downloaded CentOS 6.7 and installed a basic server and only ended up with a 7GB disk size so must be something specific to the BlueOnyx install?

I tried all sorts of ways to compact the drive and none of them resulted in any difference. I then was playing around and converted the VHDX file to a VHD and it went down to around 7GB. I tried to convert back to VHDX and it went back to the 40GB?