[BlueOnyx:19368] Re: Server Setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 18 21:27:32 -05 2016

Hi Jessie,

> It was 3.1.0-327.4.4.e17.x86_64

That's the kernel version. That would indicate that it was a BlueOnyx
5209R, though. Which is what I wanted to know. We do have six different
versions of BlueOnyx spread over various different flavours of Linux.

Can you access the local console of the server?

After OS install and after reboot you need to login to the server with
the username "root" and the default password "blueonyx". Upon that first
login certain post-install setup tasks will then be executed
automatically and eventually you get to a menu where you can configure
the network settings.

Once that's done it will tell you that you should now be able to connect
to the GUI.

That usually works well. Provided that the network details were entered
correctly. The first step naturally should be to debug the network.

>From the console: Run "ping google.com" and see if that is reachable.

If it is, then your server can make outgoing connections. Run "ifconfig"
to see what the IP address of the server is. Try to connect that from
your browser.

If you cannot connect from your workstation browser to the IP of the
server, then check if your workstation can ping the IP of the server
and/or if you can login by SSH to that IP.

If the workstation can ping the IP, but the browser doesn't bring up any
page when you try to connect to the IP: Then check if the services
"httpd" and "admserv" are running on the BlueOnyx. Restart the services
if need be and then try again.

You could also try to reboot the BlueOnyx, which would most likely take
care of lingering issues such as services not yet being up.

Please run the above steps and see if that gets you any further. If not,
let us know what you find and we take it from there.