[BlueOnyx:21597] DNS settings for multiple virtual sites on different servers.

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:43:21 -05 2017

Hi all,

This may be a “no brainer” and I may have been doing this wrong for some time, with it working due to extra work done….

Example
I have:
- 2 domains “xyz.com” and “abc.com”
- 2 (or more) servers
- each server capable of dns with glue DNS records for primary and secondary

So lets say I set up the following glue records:
Ns1.abc.com 10.0.0.1
Ns2.abc.com 192.168.1.2

Now the next step I would need to do to get www.abc.com<http://www.abc.com> to be a functional site on 10.0.0.1 would be to add the site under the “site management” tab for the virtual site of www.abc.com<http://www.abc.com> and config mail, users, etc…. Then add the domain as a secondary for DNS on 192.168.1.2

Next if I wanted to set up www.xyz.com<http://www.xyz.com> on 192.168.1.2 I would set up the virtual site on 10.0.0.1 as I did for www.abc.com<http://www.abc.com> except put in the ip address of 192.168.1.2 under “basic settings” and set up a virtual site on 192.168.1.2 for the website, instead of entering a secondary dns entry.

Would that be the most correct way to do this?

I may have a follow up question on this depending on the answer, as I want to keep it as simple as possible first then expand to virtual sites to other IP addresses.

Regards
Brian