[BlueOnyx:21601] Re: 550-5.7.1 this message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Fri Dec 22 16:28:19 -05 2017

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:
>
> That's my experience as well: If CentOS 7 is hooked up to a network that
> supports IPv6 (even if that server only has IPv4 configured), then some
> services might end up using IPv6 as well. At least for outgoing
> connections if the target supports IPv6. In that case it might even
> prefer to use IPv6 even if IPv4 is available at the destination.
>
> There are some factors that can throw a wrench into that. Like if you
> use a DNS-resolver that only serves IPv4.

This is really starting to chap by backside. On my other 5208R (CentOS 6.9) that I’ve not had this issue with - Just had a customer notify me that they were having trouble sending to Comcast with this error:

Looked to me like Comcast was picking up the IP of the desktop sending the message to my server (on rev.res.rr.com), so I enabled ‘hide previous headers’ and had my customer try again. Failure with the same message. Acting on a hunch that they were blocking my non-PTR IPv6 (and not telling me), I applied the faux IPv4/IPv6 CLIENT_OPTIONS line to this server and the mail was accepted.

I swear… Running a well configured mail server has never been easy, but these arbitrary requirements of PTR records for mail delivery on a not quite ready for prime time IPv6 are making this a nightmare.

I hope everyone has a blessed and merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Jeff