[BlueOnyx:20630] Re: Strange mysql issue on 5208R box

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Feb 8 11:15:23 -05 2017

Hi Larry,

On 2/8/2017 9:44 AM, Larry Smith wrote:
> I have a (to me) strange issue that just started yesterday
> on a 5208R box.  Appears mysqld will start grabbing memory
> and (viewing with top) go to the top of the stack and just stay
> there.  When this happens, I notice loads of spamc processes
> that appear to be just hanging and mail stops flowing (in both
> directions - eg in and out).
>
> I can kill the mysql processes (init.d/mysqld stop does not seem
> to work when this is occurring, says timeout waiting on response)
> and everything will stabilize.
>
> The box has av-spam, roundcube and 1 wordpress site, but to the
> best of my knowledge no major changes have been made recently.
> Nothing appears out of order in the mysql log file.
>
> Any ideas on how to chase this issue down??

I've seen this before when the AV-Spam database starts to get very large
and unwieldy.   The solution is to flush the bayes tables.  Sometimes
that will work via the GUI, but a lot of the time if the table is that
big and out of control, I wind up having to truncate it manually.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services