[BlueOnyx:20735] BlueOnyx Shop, NewLinQ service restoration

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Feb 28 19:00:48 -05 2017

Hi all,

I'm taking a moment to update you on the status of the server move.
We've had some unexpected challenges but are working through them.  You
may well hear from Greg and/or Michael but while those guys are deep
into their tasks, I'll get a quick update out.

As some have noticed, and was previously announced at BlueOnyx.it, the
systems responsible for handling the BlueOnyx Shop, NewLinQ and other
various services made a physical move over the weekend, and arrived at
our DAL1 facility Monday afternoon.

The equipment was brought personally by Greg Kuhnert of Compass
Networks.  He and members of our team unpacked and loaded everything
into its new home and got to work routing the IP addresses, which were
also ported across to our network.

After a fair amount of work and troubleshooting, it became clear that
the main server has suffered from some sort of jet lag and has
encountered a fault that we have as yet been unable to fully diagnose.
In the interest of getting service restored as quickly as possible, we
have fired up another server and have loaded the critical services
there.   That will give us the opportunity to get to the bottom of the
apparent hardware fault without hitting users with a sustained outage.

So the current status is that the user- and customer-facing bits of the
BlueOnyx Shop and NewLinQ are fully operational.   In the coming hours
and days you can expect some brief interruptions in service as
configuration changes and various tweaks and upgrades are implemented.

I'll take a moment of personal privilege and give some special thanks to
Team BlueOnyx.  Especially Greg who flew halfway around the world with
this stuff and has gotten very little sleep in the past few days in his
commitment to get things running for the BlueOnyx Community.  Also
Michael Stauber for being on-call for us whenever we have a sticky
question.   And lastly, the VIRTBIZ datacenter support crew, who
continue to make me proud.  Provisioning emergency gear, help with rack
& stack logistics, making burger runs...     This has been (and will
continue to be) a group effort.

We're proud to be the host datacenter for the BlueOnyx project.  The
software, the people behind it, and the BlueOnyx community at large are
really a special thing.

Stay tuned.

--
Chris Gebhardt