[BlueOnyx:21033] Re: API question

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri May 12 09:12:31 -05 2017

Hi Michael,

On 5/9/2017 6:07 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hence for 5207R/5208R use the 5200R WHMCS module and for 5209R use the
> 5209R WHMCS module.
>
> You can install both at the same time into your WHMCS and when you
> configure a server, the pulldown for the server type will show both
> 5200R and 5209R, allowing you to pick the one that matches the box.

I found a problem with this that exists if you have a "mixed
environment".  That is, a mixture of 5209R and earlier versions that are
all used to fulfill a single product offering.

A given product within WHMCS (for instance, "BlueOnyx Webhosting") can
only be assigned a single module.  In our case, that would be either the
Blueonyx5209r or the Blueonyx5200r module.   We have to choose one or
the other.

I found this to be the case after I set the 5209R boxes to utilize the
Blueonyx5209r module, and then suddenly we no longer saw the correct
server assigned within the product listing for the various hosting
customers.

There are 2 work-arounds that I can come up with:
1. Change the WHMCS module to include logic/options for manipulating all
versions of BlueOnyx under a common module.
2. Move our existing users on 5208R to 5209R.

Both options are a PITA in their own way, but if I'm honest, the #2
option makes more sense for the long-haul, since 5209R is the way of the
future.  No sense in having Michael rework the entire API/plugin to
support an aging infrastructure.   We'll make plans here to proceed
accordingly in that direction.

There's a 3rd option, which would be to set up a different product for
5208R and 5209R, but that's really a kludge, and will have other
consequences trickle down.

That said, I wanted to lay out our findings/observations in case they're
helpful for someone else.

If you're using WHMCS to manage your BlueOnyx hosting, it's probably
best that you have a common infrastructure on the hosting servers.
Either 5209R, or anything else.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services