[BlueOnyx:21440] Re: 5207R, 5208R, 5209R: YUM Updates

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 03:04:25 -05 2017

Hi Christoph,

From: Blueonyx <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it> on behalf of Christoph Schneeberger <cschnee at box.telemedia.ch>

Date: Friday, 29 September 2017 at 05:48

Subject: [BlueOnyx:21439] Re: 5207R, 5208R, 5209R: YUM Updates

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your work, much appreciated!

Hear hear …

One thing I noticed with my 5208/5209 openvz VPS is that whenever an update affecting sendmail or apache hits the repos I have to manually restart half of them with

 killall [httpd|sendmail]; service [httpd|sendmail] restart

because nagios kicks off and calls me on the phone, naturally in the middle of the night when these updates tend to be applied.

I understand that these services sometimes do not restart properly after updates/changes as it has always been the case, but with 5106 and 5107 these "booboos" always were catched and nicely and timely fixed by swatch.

I wonder if I am the only one hitting this feature of celebrating the advent of shiny new 5208/5209 updates with a hot chocolate in his hand midnight ?

Cheers - Christoph

We get the same and the yum update log shows the problem:

[Fri Sep 29 06:03:59 2017] [warn] NameVirtualHost 192.168.10.165:80 has no VirtualHosts

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443

Unable to open logs

[FAILED]

We have to reboot to solve the problem. I am sure there is an easy fix but I have never been able to solve it. We see it on a number of our servers where we cannot restart http without rebooting. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell me what to do?

Regards

Colin