[BlueOnyx:22187] Re: Jungle_Sec Ransomware

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 08:46:41 -05 2018

Chris,

Thank you for the update, I still have a few questions, although maybe not as important now, but...

Do we know if the system files were encrypted?

What was the indication there was a problem?
Was it that something on the site was not working and then someone realized file extension were added to say PHP files as an example?

As to vulnerable sites, that is easy, an exploit to allow a single file to be dropped into a folder can give them all the access they need...
One of my favourites (and not a hacker tool, as I have seen some what can even touch files so the date is not the real date it was added/changed and some which try and get root access, even to the point they modify the rewrite in the .htaccess file):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/extplorer/?source=typ_redirect

So yes I have seen many exploited/defaced and otherwise compromised sites from owners not wanting to spend a little time or money in maintenance and updating (and it costs them more in the end when I have to come in and clean up their site), including shopping carts that were SSL routing CC info elsewhere.
But my limits with Ransomware is to the Windows environments and I am sorry I cannot in clear conscience offer my services for Linux Ransomware as although I do have enough knowledge to be dangerous with the Ransomware working the same or in a similar way, I do not have the Linux experience. By all means feel free to bounce a question off me and I will tell you if I don't know... ( and who knows maybe I know someone who may know.

Regards
Brian

PS so we can take this offlist now as it is not a BO issue specific.... I can be reached on the following email address if you need to ask a question and want to get a reply from me saying I have no idea... (
wayin at hotmail.com