[BlueOnyx:00940] Re: Clam AV

Paul pcr1066 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:43:48 -05 2009

> Paul

> I actually have always used commercial packages for that from Nuonce or

> www.solarspeed.net

> So I can't be much help.

Unfortunately Ken at this time I cannot afford such luxuries as I am
recovering from a serious illness. Plus I am trying to learn about Linux,
especially trying to setup my own web server. What better way to learn than
by trial and error! There must be someone or somewhere I can get help with
these kind of questions. I liked BlueQuartz and love BlueOnyx and really
want to stick with it. I unfortunately live in England and would you be
surprised to know that there are no college courses that cover Linux, not
one, it is all Windows!

I tried the CentOS channel on IRC Freenode but was informed that Blueonyx
was a "One off Hack of CentOS" and no one would answer my questions. This is
very difficult for someone just starting out and trying to learn. Whatever
happened to the community spirit?

> I did see a post today about Centos repositories at:

> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=507
<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=507&tag=nl.e011>
&tag=nl.e011

> They suggest RPMForge and  utterramblings.

Thank you for this information. I have read the page and will have a go at
adding these repositories. Of course this leads to further questions, for
example can I just install RPM's from these repositories without affecting
BlueOnyx? There is mention of disabling the repositories or using
yum-priorities plugin but I am not sure about this.

Can I just install Clam AV and MailScanner from these repo's and then
Spamassassin from BlueOnyx?

Really it looks as though I could really do with some replies to my original
questions but thank you Ken for your time and consideration, plus the help
you have given.

Yours Paul