[BlueOnyx:00984] Re: What to store on a separate disk

Julien Buratto julien.buratto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:55:05 -05 2009

Hi,

first of all let me thank Michael with the listing of folders which I
understand my not to be final..
Scott, what I'm trying to achive is a EC2+EBS machine, not a
standalone (only EC2) BlueOnyx.

About Amazon, Scott is right, it's possible to take "snapshots" of VMs
which are basically the current virtual machine "in full" (included
updates), while EBS ensure a SAN storage for data which is always
updated and subjected to RAID logics for data integrity.
So, separation could be:
- OS + applications => snapshot (to storage)
- User data => SAN

Infact Michael, VMs use virtual volumes on physical disks, so when you
backup a system you backup all the virtual volume (with a lot of
stuff), but what about if the virtual filesystem gets somehow broken ?
Well infact we add a level of uncertainess related to the
virtualization storage software (Xen, Vmware, etc) which creates the
virtual volume filesystem. (a virtual filesystem on top of another
file system)

Wrap up:
1) If we choose to virtualize the volumes we have: (physical +
filesystem) points of failures
2) If we choose to virtualize the virtual machines we have: (physical
+ filesystem + VM specific filesystem) points of failures

>From Amazon point of view we could have:

1)
- Create an EC2 to run BlueOnyx
- Create EBS (external volume) to store:
/etc
/home
/usr/sausalito/codb/
/var/lib/mysql/
/var/named/
- For each "yum update" (do you really do updates so often on a
production server ?) store a snapshot to S3 (Storage)

2)
- create a EC2 (virtual machine) which acts as a VM Server
- create a EBS (san disk) and use it to store VMs virtual filesystems
- create a EBS to store the VM Server OS config (and yes, also VM
Servers need updates)
- snapshot the VM Server periodically

In my opinion, the two approaces are not so different infact, but why
wrap a virtual environment in another virtual environment ?
What about performances, system administration and networking ?

A part from that, I perfectly see the complexity of partially backup an OS.

Julien

PS: If some other folders to externalize popups in your mind, let me know .)

Julien Buratto