[BlueOnyx:01049] Re: Iptables

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Fri Apr 10 22:05:46 -05 2009

Greg,

Absolutely correct. Sorry to be harsh (in re-reading my response) before.

It is my opinion that defense in depth (more than one layer of protection -
or sometimes called belt-and-suspenders). The point I was not making so well
is to block as far out as you can. Iptables is further out than dfix - but
does not replace it. Like AV scanning on the web server for email does not
replace AV scanning on the client machine.

I think someone mentioned running a dedicated firewall between one's servers
and the internet at large. That is a good idea too.

For me the tradeoff is effectiveness of the effort versus how it affects my
operations (overhead, complexity, upset clients, etc) versus cost of failure
versus the chance/frequency of failure.

But a good point well made.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie