[BlueOnyx:01093] udev security vulnerability: RHSA-2009:0427-01 / CVE-2009-1185

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Apr 18 20:42:03 -05 2009

Hi all,

Pretty much all major Linux distributions are affected by a vulnerability
which allows a local attacker to gain root access by sending a specially
crafted Netlink message sent to udev:

http://c-skills.blogspot.com/2009/04/udev-trickery-cve-2009-1185-and-cve.html

On Friday most of the affected Linux distributors released fixes, including
RedHat:

http://linuxcompatible.org/RHSA-20090427-01_Important_udev_security_update_p127899.html

However, CentOS (again) is taking some time and an updated "udev" RPM is not
yet available on the CentOS YUM repository.

As this vulnerability is rated as critical I think it wouldn't be wise to wait
for the CentOS guys to get into gear. Hence I built an updated udev RPM from
the RedHat sources and released the following two RPMs to the BlueOnyx YUM
repository:

udev-095-14.20.i386
libvolume_id-095-14.20.i386

Everyone is encouraged to run "yum update" as soon as possible to protect
against this vulnerability by installing these updates.

Sidenote: Virtual BlueOnyx users (Aventurin{e} / OpenVZ) are not affected by
this, as "udev" is not installed.