[BlueOnyx:01103] Re: PHP method for changing folder / file owner?

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Wed Apr 22 05:59:29 -05 2009

Hi all,

Just a heads up on my situation, because we upload files via SFTP and
then over to BX via SAMBA shares (via the admin account) we are not
able to change permissions using the SFTP software.

So this means that all permission changing for me has to be done
either via three ways:

The admin interface, phpchown, or via a shell.

The admin interface tickbox thingy is not quite ready yet, I'm not a
PHP developer so phpchown is out, so that leaves me with shell.

After much inner turmoil, I finally decided I was OK to give someone a
'Server Admin' level shell account on the server. Not too happy about
that - but I just need this problem solved as it's driving me nuts.

So for the last 6 months, whenever someone needs to create a wordpress
site - I have to stop what I am doing and do  this:

(simple example)

drwxrwxr-- 	admin	site1	/Home/Sites/www.bb.com/Web/

I would go to /Home/Sites/www.bb.com/

and then do:

chown -R apache Web
chmod -R -774 web

This gets me to here:

drwxrwxr-- 	apache	site1	/Home/Sites/www.bb.com/Web/

This is good enough for people to install wordpress - I would then
manually go through and take out the world read files on sensitive
stuff (config.php etc).

This works like a charm for *me* - however this the show stopper - you
have to be root to do it.

The 'admin' account is unable to change the ownership of a file to
apache - as it's not root!!!! Arrrggh!

As I really, really can not even think about giving people root access
- I'm sort of screwed again.

It seems that every way I turn, I am unable to enable server admin
users the option of creating a wordpress type php site.

Has anyone got any other ideas on this? How about giving the admin
user the rights to chown files to apache? Would that possible? Is that
bad?!?!

Cheers,

Jeff