[BlueOnyx:01117] Re: PHP method for changing folder / file owner?

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 03:44:34 -05 2009

OK found it. I can live again. I want to cry!

Listen up noobs (or perhaps for BX users, should we call them
'Boobs'?) ... if this is your situation:

1) You're a bit of a 'Boob'
2) You are doing someone else a favor and letting them use one of your
BX boxes
3) This guy is also a bit of a 'Boob'
4) At least he's the only Boob on the server, so he can't screw anyone
else's stuff up
5) He's adding PHP sites to the server each day via FTP
6) You use a crazy complicated SAMBA based file distribution system
which prevents people from changing permissions
7) You really don't know how to use php chmod - nor do you really want
to try
8) Your life is made a misery with constant requests to change
permissions on files he is uploading
9) You contemplate leaving your wife, ending it all, or worse, running
a windows box
10) You want him to just be root, and just to go away. But you don't
want to give him your root password, nor do you really want him being
root all the time either.

You think you're a screwed Boob. But wait! There is hope....

The answer:

cd /usr/sbin

su to root

./visudo

take out the # in the following line

## Same thing without a password
#%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

save file.

Done!

So it seems that BX puts all server admins in the wheel group by
default, it's just that (by default) sudo doesn't allow wheel to use
them - as default. Also the other cool thing is that now I can do sudo
stuff without having to keep typing in that darn password. Brilliant!

All of this...

for

one

tiny