[BlueOnyx:01141] Re: How to chroot a user via sftp

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Apr 28 15:57:19 -05 2009

Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez wrote:
> ok, I managed to chroot a site admin so he can only sftp to its site
>
> first of all many thanks to this how to:
> http://adamsworld.name/chrootjailv5.php
> I used steps 7 and 8 of this howto in order to somehow allow chrooted
> sftp to my bluequartz.
>
> My customer's site is located under site1 (/home/.sites/28/site1) and I
> managed to chroot the site admin (bgr) into this dir, here is the howto:
>
> I downloaded and installed openssh-5.1 from david hrbac repos:
<SNIP>
> I also veriffied that I was able to login via ssh using root account
> (before leaving the current session).

This is nice.  Thanks for sharing.
Something that would give me pause, however, before going forward to
install is the fact that once this is done, zlib, openssl and openssh
will be held back at this version.  YUM will no longer update them which
leaves them open to potential security and functionality holes.

That said, it would be neat if chrooted/jailed sftp (and even ssh) could
be implemented in BlueOnyx in the future.  I believe that's been
discussed and is on the "sometime in the future maybe" roadmap.  ;)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services