[BlueOnyx:01143] Re: How to chroot a user via sftp

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 28 19:43:41 -05 2009

Hi Chris,

> That said, it would be neat if chrooted/jailed sftp (and even ssh) could
> be implemented in BlueOnyx in the future.  I believe that's been
> discussed and is on the "sometime in the future maybe" roadmap.  ;)

Indeed. I've been looking at this and have (or had) it working on a test
server. My procedure wasn't that different from what Ernesto posted - just a
few variations here and there.

Like you said: In the end I wasn't all that happy that one had to deviate from
the CentOS supplied OpenSSH and has to use a custom built OpenSSH. If we'd
"mainstream" this by incorporating that feature into BlueOnyx, we'd always
have to be on our toes in regards to OpenSSH vulnerabilities and would have to
constantly supply new versions of OpenSSH by ourselves whenever a new version
of it becomes available. That adds quite a bit of extra overhead to the
project.

Another approach that has been suggested was to provide "scponly" shell access
as alternative for selected users. That way a client could upload files with
SCP or WinSCP, but wouldn't get full SSH access. "scponly" can also be
chrooted, but implementing that would almost be as invasive to the base OS as
chrooted SSH.

With that in mind we put both ideas on the back burner for now, but eventually
we'll get there one way or another.