[BlueOnyx:01988] Re: eth0 issues

bluequartz at ozin.com bluequartz at ozin.com
Mon Aug 10 16:55:40 -05 2009

Hi Michael,

> I found out what it was an fixed it. The fixed RPMs will be hitting the YUM
> repository today. I tested it with three and four network interfaces and it
> appears to work fine now. More than four network interfaces is not supported,
> though.

Thanks for that, they certainly fix the javascript errors and the System Settings / TCP/IP  page is now active and usable. I appreciate your quick turnaround.

A couple of issues now remain if you or any other list members can help:

The second issue I'll put as a separate post as it is unrelated but the first issue is as follows:

The System Settings /TCP-IP page still lists the wrong MAC address for each interface.

This is my own fault undoubtedly. As I had to rearrange the interfaces to make the first one the third as it kept failing and could not be disabled in the BIOS. I rearranged them as follows:

  I created
  /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network-devices.rules
  which looks like:

  KERNEL=="eth?", SYSFS{address}=="00:11:22:00:11:20", NAME="eth0"
  KERNEL=="eth?", SYSFS{address}=="00:11:22:00:11:21", NAME="eth1"
  KERNEL=="eth?", SYSFS{address}=="00:11:22:00:11:22", NAME="eth2"

  I also changed

  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 by changing these lines:
  DEVICE=eth0
  HWADDR=00:11:22:00:11:20

  I then did similar for  ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2

This all works as expected with the correct MAC address corresponding to the correct eth interface. Thus eth0 and eth1 are assigned to the two NICs that work reliably and eth2 is assigned to the broken one and is thus not used.

However the GUI on the System Settings /TCP-IP page does not display the correct MAC addresses for each interface. It instead displays the original MAC addresses as if I had not changed the order.

Do I just have to ignore this and accept it is a result of my low level fiddling or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Jason