[BlueOnyx:01992] Re: Getting up to speed on Blue Onyx

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Aug 10 17:19:05 -05 2009

Hi DK... see below:

dnk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have recently had a Blue Quartz (Nuonce installer) dropped into my
> lap, and i need to become familiar with this community again. Now i
> see that Nuonce is no longer around, and they point people over to
> here.

Nuonce isn't, but the BlueQuartz project (which ran/runs independently
of Nuonce) arguably is.  There just hasn't been a lot of innovation or
updates there.   But the list is still active, and CentOS is still
putting out patches/updates on CentOS 4.

>>From what I can gather, Blue Onyx is just a fork, and open source as
> BQ was, and anyone can download and use it. Please correct me if I am
> incorrect (IE licensing fees, etc).

You're correct.   BlueOnyx is everything BlueQuartz was and then some,
but retains the same licensing structure.

> Now if the above statement is true, is there a migration path? I
> noticed on the home page that there is some sort of upgrader
> script/installer coming. Is there an ETA on that? I am sorry if this
> has already been covered. I looked through the archives, but there
> seems to be no search option.

There is no such installer, and any development for an "upgrader" is on
a far back burner.   This is largely due to the fact that BQ runs on
CentOS 4 and BX runs on CentOS 5.   As has been mentioned previously,
that's not for the faint of heart and in most cases should likely be
avoided.

Of course, it's very simple to migrate a BQ system to BX, and with
hardware being so affordable and dedicated server providers being so
reasonably priced (cheap non-plug) it's fairly trivial to CMUExport from
BQ and CMUImport to BX.

> Is there any security updates still being done for the BQ (nuonce
> installer) that I can use until I can get this box updated to Blue
> Onyx?

Of course.   BlueQuartz will update off the CentOS4 repos, and as far as
the BlueQuartz side goes, you can use one of the BQ mirrors in the event
that the main BlueQuartz server goes MIA (again).

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services