[BlueOnyx:02113] Re: disk usage stopped calculating

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Aug 14 07:41:57 -05 2009

Steve Howes wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2009, at 13:19, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>> Disk usage also seems to be working fine now.   I think that the
>> customer is really going to appreciate this.  Thanks for the help and
>> suggestions!
>
> Can you tell them not to do it again? ;)

LOL!   Yeah, Steve... I can and did!  (Gently!)
My best guess is that he was trying to change ownership on something
within a site and did a chown -R * from the wrong directory.   And once
you hit that ENTER key.... zoom!

There are still a lot of little ownership problems all throughout the
sites on the server, but right now they're not impacting his operation.
  That will all kick in as soon as they go to update a site, or remove a
user, or somehow interact with one of the files that isn't owned by the
right user.   So that will all eventually have to be sorted.

Anyway, about 5 days after he's submitted his first ticket about the
issue, his operations are back to normal.   That's a hard lesson we can
all take something from on being careful when we're running around in
the CLI.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services