[BlueOnyx:02191] Re: New CentOS5 kernel available (important update)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 24 20:29:19 -05 2009

Hi Jeff,

> Now if the network interfaces would stop flip-
> flopping when I reboot with a new kernel... Kind of annoying.

I know what you mean. :o(

I have a box that does the same. As quick fix I just added the following line
to my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

HWADDR=00:0C:6E:XX:XX:XX

Just replace 00:0C:6E:XX:XX:XX with the MAC address of the interface you
always want to have as "eth0" and you should be fine. You can find out the MAC
by running "/sbin/ifconfig" as "root".

Of course the changes to ifcfg-eth0 will get overwritten when you change the
TCP/IP settings of the server through the GUI, but you're probably not going
to to that very often.

I thought of making it a default that the GUI writes the MAC address to the
config files - which would then stop the issue for good. But it also may
introduce a potential problem if you ever have to replace a bad network card.
Have to see how I can address that issue without shooting ourselves in the
foot in such situations.