[BlueOnyx:00521] Boot BX installer from USB memory key?

David Thacker David at ThackerNet.com
Fri Feb 13 18:07:21 -05 2009

Greetings,

I've got an MSI P1-104A2M server that I bought from Raqware about 15
months ago, currently has BQ installed.  I haven't gotten around to
rotating it into production use yet, and have decided to try BX on it.

This server does not have a CD-ROM drive, and I do not have a USB CD
drive.  I do, however, have several multigig USB memory keys.  According
the the MSI website, the server BIOS does support Boot from USB Device 1.1
and 2.0.

So, I created a bootable USB memory key from the BX install CD ISO
(following the instuctions at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-centos-5-live-install-via-windows/#more-412)

I can now boot the server from that USB key, but when I start the BlueOnyx
installer, it's reporting that it cannot locate the
cdrom:/ks/kickstart.cfg file.  I understand why, because there is no cdrom
device, but I am wondering how to proceed from this point to perform the
install.

It seems this USB key is mounted as /dev/sdc1, and the 2 hard drives are
sda1 and sdb1.

Can I convince the BX installer to install from the mounted USB key
somehow, or am I just spinning my wheels here?

Regards,

David Thacker