[BlueOnyx:00601] Re: Email problems - 554 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive recursion

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Feb 21 13:21:50 -05 2009

Hi Mark,

> I have tried that too.  This is so frustrating.  I cannot get rid of that
> recursion error.  Some of the sites that I have on my server that use
> google as their mail server work fine it is only these ones that I want to
> use my server for email that done.
>
> I must be missing something somewhere.  I believe I have the godaddy dns
> correct.

See this FAQ for more info:

http://www.solarspeed.net/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&CategoryID=3&ItemID=16

It covers all the basics.

Here is a text version of it:

All sites on a RaQ or BlueQuartz (or BlueOnyx) are named in the fashion

Example:        www.company.com

The thing here is that all mailboxes on the server also follow this naming
scheme and the correct email address for a user is:

Example:        test at www.company.com

Obviously one would desire that emails sent to test at company.com (omitting the
hostname "www") should also work.

To achieve this and to make sure that emails to test at www.company.com AND
test at company.com both get delivered, one has to do the following:

a) "Web Server Alias" & "Email Server Alias":

In the GUI go to the "Site Management" of the site in question.

Click on "Site Settings".

There you see two input textfields labled "Web Server Alias" & "Email Server
Alias". On a Sausalito powered server the "Email Server Alias" entry can be
found under "Services" / "Email" for the site in question.

If the site is named "www.company.com", then your aliases (both "Web Server
Alias" & "Email Server Alias") should be "company.com".

b) DNS:

Next go to the GUI pages for the DNS. On a RaQ3 / RaQ4 that is "Server
Management" / "Control Panel" / "Services" /  and "Parameters" behind "Domain
Name System (DNS) Server". On a Sausalito powered server that's "Server
Management" / "Network Services" / "DNS".

Here is the minimum of DNS records you should have on a server appliance for
each site:

 company.com 	         ---- A Record ----> 	 <IP-Address>
 www.company.com	 ---- A Record ---->	 <IP-Address>
 company.com	 	 ---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
 www.company.com	 ---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
 <IP-Address>	 	 ---- Reverse ---->	 	company.com (**)

(*) = This MUST be the exact name (including the hostname part) of the domain
as shown in the GUI interface.

(**) = In order to do your own reverse DNS your ISP must have granted you
Reverse DNS delegation authority and/or must have slaved your DNS servers.

"Web Server Alias" & "Email Server Alias" must be defined, DNS for the domain
needs two MX records which point to the full host- and domain name of the
site.

This is ONE approach that works. There are others, which may work as well, but
usually involve setting up extra MX and A record for something like
mail.company.com. This approach here is generally more simple and
straightforward.