[BlueOnyx:00671] File uploads and PHP settings

Mels van Kooten Mels at stijlloos.nl
Thu Feb 26 16:14:22 -05 2009

Like other people I want to upload files with a CMS.
Unfortunately it isn't possible to do this, because the user "apache" doesn't got the right permissions.
Even when I chmod the directory and files as 777.

I've read the other mailings that concerns this problem, but it doesn't offer a solution that I like.

Because we're the only users on the server I think it's safe to turn PHP safemode off.
Maybe this solves the upload problem.

php.net:
When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed.

So I turned safemode off for a virtual side, via "Services/PHP".
But when I run a PHPinfo() script, it says safemode still is on.
How can I edit the PHP setting so it really changes the PHP settings?

As a desperate measure I tried to turn safemod off in the server management, but then the whole webservice gone down...
When the server was accessible again (through the GUI), all the sites where down.
Then I switched safemode back on, and all the websites worked again.

how can I fix this problem?

Ps. I'm running all sites in preview mode at this time