[BlueOnyx] BlueOnyx Compatibility with Nuonce software

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 2 08:17:47 -05 2009

Hi Lucas,

> I downloaded the ISO yesterday and am very impressed with it.

Nice to hear that!

> The first thing I did without thinking is install some software to see if
> there is anything I would have to repurchase. Here is a list of the
> software I use:
>
> advanced gui backup 1.6
> awstats 6.5
> console manager gui 1.5
> openwebmail 2.52
> spamassassin 3.2.3.2
>
> Everything works fine

The thing here is that basically all PKGs ought to be specifically rebuilt for
BlueOnyx. In particular any PKG that contains compiled code may need to be
rebuilt specifically for CentOS 5 + BlueOnyx, as programs compiled for
CentOS4 may not work on CentOS5. Also, some pieces of the architecture are
simply different. Like different version of Apache, PHP, or different
versions of installed Perl modules, etc.

In so far I'm surprised that SpamAssassin runs, as it was compiled on CentOS4
and depends on a lot of Perl modules, some of which are not available on
CentOS5, or are available in different versions.

Both NuOnce and Solarspeed will provide BlueOnyx versions of their software
shortly. Can't say how Brian plans to handle this, as our business and
pricing models are different. However, I plan to make my PKGs available to
existing clients of the BlueQuartz versions at a small upgrade price. Am
about half way done with porting my software.

> awstats's .htaccess file gives a error
> message, this could be because of changes to mod_auth (I think thats what
> its called)
>
> ..../awstats/.htaccess: Invalid command 'AuthAuthoritative', perhaps
> misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Yeah, the .htaccess "stuff" works slightly different under BlueOnyx, as the
more modern Apache on CentOS5 has changed the authentication modules around.

Brian's AWStats is different from mine, so I'll leave it to him to propose a
fix here - aside from pointing you to a new BlueOnyx version of his PKG.

However, by modifying the .htaccess file (or the script that generates it) you
can get around this.

> I have tested the rest of them and they work good, I have not tried to
> restore a backup yet, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any comments.

Restoring a backup should go fine. I tested that extensively so far and didn't
have any issues except the usual CMU quirks that one sometimes runs into.