[BlueOnyx] Install error on VMWare ESX 3.5

Jes Klittum jes at klittum.dk
Sat Jan 3 03:02:28 -05 2009

Hello Michael and Brian,

> 10 Gigs is not enough if you let BlueOnyx automatically set up the
> partitions.
>
> Not counting /home that allocates 12.538 MB already.
>
> For testing purpose do the following:
>
> Boot off the CD and at the BlueOnyx splash screen (and instead of
> pressing
> enter) type:
>
> 	linux self

I did this and it spurted the same error. I was not able to define any
partitions either. Only difference was that the error related to var
instead of home

I then tried Brians suggestion - and that worked - a 40 GB virtual
disk did the trick. I think, however, that you should make it possible
to install on a 10 GB drive. VMware ESX 3.5 allocates all space
immediately, and does not allow the drive to expand - that means that
every GB on the SAN is valuable, as it cannot be over-commisioned in
the way that Aventurine, or even VMware Server can. If BlueOnyx is to
be used the way BQ was, then it should allow small virtual
installations for single domains. 10 GB would suffice for most virtual
purposes.

Best regards,

Jes Kasper Klittum
Birk-IT