[BlueOnyx:00121] Re: Ftp

Tony Loosle tony-blue at s1-i.net
Mon Jan 12 18:20:48 -05 2009

I would have liked the Raid Zero option, but hey, you guys have done such great work, how can I complain.

Don't forget the performace of Raid Zero!   You have to think of it as ONE drive and not two, and the performance is much better.   if you think of it as one big drive your ok.   Like I said, nothing beats backups and mirror has never saved my day....   Now I never use raid 1.

Now, raid 5,   Thats nice!   have a few servers running it.   Need to play with a raid 10, but too many lost drives.

Each for his own and each for its purpose.   I also like to buy drives that are behind the curve.   500GB are very cheap and a couple of them are faster than a 1TB drive.

tony

On 1/12/2009 at 6:51 PM Michael Stauber wrote:

>This encoded message has been converted to an attachment.
>
>Hi Tony,

> the built in soft raid will not do raid zero on two drives.
>The
> bluequartz did, but this does not.

That's correct. BlueOnyx
>supports ...

- No raid (one disk found)
- RAID1 (two drives found)
-
>RAID 0+1 (if four drives are present)

RAID0 over two or more disks is not
>supported as we think that this is a bad
idea on a general purpose
>server. Because if one drives goes bad, all your
data is toast.

> I have
>never had any luck with raid 1 or mirror and nothing beats a good
>
>backup.

True, Backups are a must have and I wouldn't trust a RAID1
>alone. However,
having a RAID mirror can save you doing a reinstall. Just
>swap out the drive,
reboot and off you go. Compared to a reinstall you
>save a lot of time and
effort.

Michael
>Stauber