[BlueOnyx:00125] Re: Ftp

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 12 19:31:09 -05 2009

Hi Tony,

> I would have liked the Raid Zero option, but hey, you guys have done such
> great work, how can I complain.

:o)

> Don't forget the performace of Raid Zero!   You have to think of it as ONE
> drive and not two, and the performance is much better.   if you think of it
> as one big drive your ok.   Like I said, nothing beats backups and mirror
> has never saved my day....   Now I never use raid 1.

Well, I see your point. Technically it's not that difficult to modify the CD
to bring back RAID0. I'll put it on the list. Although I hate to see
the "inputless" install go away, as we now have to add a menu when more than
1 drive is detected ("Do you want RAID0 or RAID1?").

> Now, raid 5,   Thats nice!   have a few servers running it.   Need to play
> with a raid 10, but too many lost drives.

Yeah, RAID10 is a bit of a mess - not only with RHEL5 or CentOS5. The CentOS
kernel supports RAID10 out of the box since a while, but the CD installer
Anaconda doesn't. So the CD can't be used to set up a software RAID10 -
unless you do a lot of dirty tricks.

Can't really comment on RAID5, as I haven't used that in years.