[BlueOnyx:00134] Re: BlueOnyx software

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jan 13 01:04:28 -05 2009

Hi Chris,

> I notice that SolarSpeed has some new BlueOnyx software available.
> Notably, RoundCube webmail.  I've seen this package, and I must say that
> it rocks.

Yeah, RoundCube really rocks. Love it a lot. Compared to it other webmail
clients look old and pale. Although RoundCube is quite a "young" project.

> However, I'm interested in the fact that the listing has a * next to it
> (as do some others).   Does the * mean something?  Is it safe to use?

Sorry, should have copied over the explanation from the BlueQuartz software
page, where that is mentioned.

The PKGs marked with [*] are for self installs. Means: You get the PKG and can
install it yourself. But free install through Solarspeed is also available if
you'd rather have it that way (some do).

There is some software for BlueQuartz and also BlueOnyx where I don't hand the
PKGs out (at the moment, this will change), but only offer it as an
installation service.

This is/was for various reasons - like the install having too many
dependencies or requiring additional checks prior or after the install, or
the PKGs being too big to be installed through the GUI.

The other reason is a bit altruistic, of course. Some software (like the
AV-SPAM) is a long term commitment. Means: The client buys it, but then
pretty much indefenitely gets "free" updates of Clam AV and SpamAssassin
through YUM from me to go alongside. Handing the core PKGs of the AV-SPAM out
to clients may incline a few of them to install 'em on more servers than
intended.

I do have a mechanism in the pipe which will solve that issue, so that I can
hand all PKGs out directly to clients without having to worry about this. Am
already using it for Aventurin{e} and just need to port it over.