[BlueOnyx:00147] Re: Initial install issue

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jan 13 13:43:37 -05 2009

Hi Jay,

> Where can I obtain a list of tested hardware, specifically RAID controllers
> for Blueonyx?

As Steve already mentioned: BlueOnyx will support anything that CentOS 5.2
supports as well. BlueOnyx uses an unmodified CentOS 5.2 kernel and the
install CD is also "just" a modified CentOS 5.2 install CD (with some fat
trimmed).

> The controller is an Intel ICH7R running Raid1
> The motherboard in the server is a TYAN S5191G3NR

That possibly could be a fake RAID controller. If so: Those are quite
troublesome and tend to not work unless you use a driver from the motherboard
maker, or do thing in a certain way.

Here is a typical case of this from the CentOS support forum that sums it up
nicely:

http://centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&order=ASC&topic_id=12711&forum=39

There are a few things that you can check:

Does the manufacturer of the motherboard provide drivers for CentOS5 or RHEL5?
If so, try to use them.

Try different install options. Like enable or disable hardware RAID in the
BIOS and see if it makes a difference.

Or try the work around from the link above.

At the worst you can also disable the onboard controller and plug in a PCI o
PCIx SATA controller which will work out of he box on CentOS5.