[BlueOnyx:00168] Re: Various issues wirh BlueOnyx

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Fri Jan 9 10:11:04 -05 2009

Darren makes a good point - having to support two mta's and/or ftp servers
sounds like making extra work.

I keep hearing about how sendmail is a mess, and I'm inclined to agree
having dived into the sendmail.mc/cf too many times. I have no experience
with postfix, but it sounds pretty good and it's supporters are enthuastic
about it's advantages, especially in anti-spam processing. If it's better,
less bug prone, and perhaps easier to manage, let's do it when we can and
send sendmail on it's own way.

Proftpd is a quirky old friend, but with something else that will not fill
my logs with annoying errors or have clients complain (only occasionally)
about quirky disconnnects. If there is a better solution that is more
reliable and easier to manage, then let's move there too.

On the other hand, moving is certainly a lot of work for developers. I want
to be respectful of that effort with whatever potential return may be in
swapping out ftp or mta agents.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie