[BlueOnyx:00181] Re: Third party software

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jan 14 07:10:19 -05 2009

Hi Stephanie and Chris,

> > With respect to Brian's applications package. We discussed naming the
> > databases it creates with the name of the site rather than a random name.
> > For BO I think the better solution to use the site's built-in database
> > creation functions so the database will show up with the site and can be
> > removed when the site is removed. I still like the idea of naming the
> > databases with the FQDN of the site then a local name. Makes determining
> > ownership much easier.
>
> 100% agreed.   Very much a fan of this idea.  I meet this with enthusiasm.

Good points, as usual.

/me turns to the coder and says: "Make it so!" :o)

Although for BlueOnyx we went away from using the FQDN of the site as database
name. Instead we name it "siteXX_db".

We couldn't use the FQDN, as it may get too long and MySQL has a limit of how
long a database name can be (24 characters). Another option would have been
to "trim" any sitename that's too long.

However, then you really need to cover all your bases more carefully, as ...

www.my-superfantastic-shop-selling-flowers.com
www.my-superfantastic-shop-selling-cookies.com

... would both get the same default MySQL database name, being:

www_my-superfantastic_db

So using the group name of the site instead (which is really unique) avoids
that conflict.

As for deleting a MySQL database when the site is deleted: That's currently a
default and would carry over to an implementation of the Webapps.